Are you interested in getting involved with OAR? There are tons of ways to help out. Here are a few:
- Volunteer (see info below on how to help)
- Donate (through our online giving site or in-kind donations)
- Plan and lead a "donation" drive for us. We are always in need of coats, clothing, hygiene items, and bus tickets.
- Share our website and social media with your friends and family.
- Refer potential clients to us. We are open Monday-Friday from 8:30-3:30 and we are ready to assist returning citizens each day.
- Mentor a client.
- Provide a pro-social activity for our clients.
- Sign up for our monthly newsletter. (Sign up form is at the bottom of home page.)
- Contact Alex Slipow, Community Engagement Coordinator, at (804) 643-2746 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more ways to help. We look forward to having you join our team of supporters.
VOLUNTEER with OAR!
Volunteers are an essential part of our organization. Volunteers contribute their skills and talents to our agency to provide the best possible services to our clients. We believe volunteers are a valuable and necessary resource and we strive to recognize their commitment.
Volunteer opportunities are available at OAR's Central Office (Downtown Richmond), Chesterfield County Jail, Henrico County Regional Jail (New Kent County), Henrico County Jail West, Pamunkey Regional Jail (Hanover County), and Richmond City Justice Center.
There are many different kinds of opportunities available at OAR. These opportunities include:
- Class Facilitator: Volunteers are needed to facilitate Cognitive Behavioral Therapy groups in the local jails. Training and materials is provided. This is a time commitment of 1 to 2 hours per week.
- Data Entry: Volunteers are needed to assist our Case Managers with entering data and services into our database. Prior computer experience is required. Training in the OAR database will be provided. This is a time commitment of 1 to 10 hours per week.
- Employment Retention Phone Calls: Volunteers are needed to assist with calling employers to verify client employment and job retention. Training will be provided. This is a time commitment of 1 to 5 hours per week.
- Employer Recruitment: Volunteers are needed to work with staff on recruiting employers to hire our clients. Training will be provided. This is a time commitment of 1 to 5 hours per week.
- Resume Writing: Volunteers are needed to work with clients on writing resumes. Training will be provided. This is a time commitment of 1 to 5 hours per week.
- Job Search Assistance: Volunteers are needed to work with clients on their online job search and employment applications. Training will be provided. This is a time commitment of 1 to 5 hours per week.
- Housing Search Assistance: Volunteers are needed to work with clients on their online housing search. Training will be provided. This is a time commitment of 1 to 5 hours per week.
- Financial Management Facilitator: A volunteer (or volunteers) are needed to facilitate a monthly budgeting and money management class for our post-release clients. This is a time commitment of 2 to 3 hours per month.
- Ride to Reentry Volunteer: Volunteers are needed to assist program coordinator with bike repair/maintenance as well as teaching bike safety and maintenance classes. This is a time commitment of 2 to 10 hours per week. Previous bike maintenance/repair experience requested.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please apply below (click on "Click Here to Sign Up." Once your application has been received you will be contacted for an interview. Upon successful completion of interview and clearance paperwork all new volunteers are required to attend an Orientation. If you have any questions, please contact Alex Slipow, Community Engagement Coordinator at email@example.com or (804) 643-2746.
Click above to be taken to our online volunteer application. OAR uses a program called Better Impact to assist us with volunteer management. You will need to set up a account and follow the prompts to apply. Note: you only have to set up an account once and this account will allow you to sign up for volunteer activities, it is the place you track your hours, and communicate with us. If you have any questions, please let Alex know. Thanks!